Team building is basically the selection, development and collective motivation of a team. A team is a group of people who are joined together with a common goal or objective. Teams are most suitable for highly complex tasks. Team building has gained immense popularity over the years and it is one of the most common exercises in the corporate world.
There are numerous advantages of team building such as:
- It gets people focused on a single goal.
- Helps people understand the decision making process.
- It helps them assess their personal effectiveness and strengths.
- It helps the people to identify ways to improve the problem solving skills.
- Helps people learn from the experiences of others.
- Makes tasks and objectives easily accomplish - able.
The disadvantages of team building are as follows:
- It is difficult to assess the performance of an individual's role in a team.
- Some of the members might be free riders.
- Coordination costs are very high while team building as management has o spend a lot of costs to find and put together appropriate team members.