I am fourteen years old and got a job somewhere and have already started working. I still need a work permit though. Is it like illegal that I am working without a permit?


1 Answers

Danae Hitch Profile
Danae Hitch answered

The federal government does not require work permits or proof-of-age certificates for a minor to be employed. Many states, however, do require them for workers of certain ages. In addition to state labor departments, school guidance counselors might know if permits or proof-of-age certificates are required in that particular state.

The Department of Labor will issue age certificates if the minor employee's state does not issue them, or if the minor is requested by his or her employer to provide one. However, the vast majority of age certificates are issued by states.

Answer Question