What Qualifications Do I Need To Become A Heating Engineer?


2 Answers

Shane Richardson Profile
The qualifications required for heat engineers differ from company to company and the nature of duties a candidate will have to carry out once they get the job. The most emphasized skill in heat engineering has to be the technical ability of a person. There are however many qualifications that may be required of you before you land this kind of job.

Mostly, employers insist on prospective employee’s educational background. For you to get a job in the Heat engineering department of any firm, you should have at least degree in electrical engineering,  mechanical systems, power plant, district energy or  any other related technical field.

Besides the academic qualifications, some employers prefer candidates who have some experience in the field of Heat Engineering or other related fields. This means that a diploma holder can even get the job because they have had many years of practice in the field.

Knowledge and skills in optimizing central energy generation and dispatch, planning, construction, design, and operations and maintenance in power plant, heating plant, or similar field is required. These skills also vary for different employers.

The other qualification that may be required of a heat engineer is licensing. Companies prefer to employ professionals who are registered and licensed by engineer associations like ASOPE and NUIPLE.

To get this kind of job, education, skills and experience is highly important because these are the aspects that tell an employer whether you have the ability to do the job or not. Besides this, there are so many personal traits that employers look out for in their prospective employer.

Considering the nature of work a heat engineer is involved in, traits like good communication skills, interpersonal communication, team leader, team-oriented and dependability would be very important.

Since every employer tends to look for what they think will help their firm, prospective Heat Engineers need to understand what is most important to a firm before applying for a job to them. A clear understanding of what a prospective employer is looking for will help you evaluate yourself and know whether you are fit for the specific position that has been advertised for.
Anonymous Profile
Anonymous answered
The Chartered Institute of Plumbing and Heating Engineering says that it registers individuals based upon their qualifications and experience. The categories and criterion are as follows:

Studying for an accredited qualification in a plumbing or heating discipline.

Has obtained either City & Guilds Technical Certificate or NVQ Level 2 but requires further practical experience.

Associate (ACIPHE)
Holds NVQ Level 2 or City & Guilds Craft Certificate (circa. 1980) with appropriate practical experience (including 1 year post-NVQ experience) OR does not hold a formal qualification but has extensive practical experience supported by trade references and, where necessary, an inspection.

Member (MCIPHE)
Holds NVQ Level 3 or City & Guilds Advanced Craft Certificate with appropriate practical experience.

Fellow (FCIPHE)

Holds relevant qualifications with appropriate managerial experience. Companion Open to anyone who is connected with the plumbing and heating industry and supports the work of the Chartered.

If you are going to work on gas you will have to have the ACS gas qualifications to get onto the Gas Safe Register. If you are going to work on Oil or Solid Fuel you should look at OFTEC and HEATAS. Chartered is the only professional body for Plumbing and Heating Engineers.

Answer Question